Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Are you there, heels? It's me, Christie.

I have always loved shopping and putting together outfits. Even while pregnant, I wanted to look stylish and put together. As one of my dear friends put it in high school, "You may not have a talent like drawing, dancing, or singing (Lord knows that's the truth), but you can put together a great outfit!" I suppose she was giving me a compliment... Anyhow, my point is, I like dressing nicely. A great outfit can do wonders to camouflage a bad hair day, excessive bloating, or a big pimple.

But alas--skinny jeans, expensive tops, and high heeled boots (hence the title of my blog) aren't exactly practical while caring for a baby. My daily wardrobe pretty much reads like this: Sweatpants? check. Fitted t-shirt to compensate for the sweatpants? check. Sneakers that should really only be worn on the treadmill? check. A full face of makeup so people don't say "Ohh, she's really letting herself go..." check!

Well, after putting on my black stretch pants, hooded (but fitted!) sweatshirt, and sneakers for the ump-teenth time since December 8th today, I had just about had it with my poor excuse for a wardrobe. I at least would like to have some other options in the event that I want to look young and hip again. So, I packed up Aubrey and we headed to Target(insert screeching sound of brakes here). Yes, Target. I had planned to up the ante and hit the mall, but it was pushing 3:00 and I simply did not have the stamina to drive the extra 3 miles for the sake of fashion. I know, ridiculous.

Long story short (well, it's not really that long, I just don't know how to make it sound interesting), I left Target with sixty dollars worth of baby clothes. Headbands, bibs, matching onesies and hoodies, even sunglasses. And this is not the first time this has happened, as many moms can probably relate to. It seems that every time I go out, I end up buying an outfit or accessory for my THREE MONTH OLD...a girl who has no clue which colors are her "good colors", nor does she care. I could go Michelle Duggar style and dress her in a homemade denim skirt paired with a beige high neck top and she wouldn't give a crap. So why then, do I spend what little money I have making sure she has a wardrobe filled with options, while I spend fifteen frustrating minutes a day trying to find sweats to wear that still look "nice"?
I'm pretty sure it's because I feel less guilty spending money on her than I do on myself. Somehow I justify that if it's for the baby, then it's a necessity.

In a few weeks I will be forced to by myself a new wardrobe for work. I use the term "forced" lightly. I suppose it will be more like me flying out the door sans baby, charge card in one hand, wardrobe wish list in the other, frolicking about store to store, but I can't say it like that because that would sound frivolous. So, in a few weeks I will be forced to buy a new wardrobe, fully equipped with some new high heels. And I will love every second in those heels. But let's be real here...as soon as the clock strikes 4 and I walk in the front door after a long day of work, it's hello sneakers, goodbye heels :)

**Don't forget to vote for me by clicking on the Top Mommy Blogs link on the left.I've also added a rating scale for The Mom Blogs! THANK YOU for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment