Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Parking Wars...Mount Laurel Edition

For the last month or so, I've been trying to take Aubrey out on the town every day for both her sanity and mine. Aubrey can only handle so much tummy time and frankly, trying to entertain a 3 month old for 12 hours a day can wear on a person. Even if it's just for an hour, it does wonders for my well being. Yesterday we stayed in due to downpours all day, so I was anxious to get out today.



Our big trip today was to Wegmans. The exciting part of this trip all occurred before we even stepped foot into the store. It began with me feeling quite lucky because a "Customers with Children" spot was actually available. I hopped out of the car, possibly looked around for a second or two, grabbed my diaper bag out of the passenger seat, and then that's when I spotted her...a feisty, angry woman charging towards me, waving her hands around as if she were swatting away a swarm of killer mosquitoes.

"EXCUSE ME! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!" she screamed at me.

For starters, I do not like getting yelled at...does anybody? I especially don't like getting yelled at in parking lots for no particular reason. In the three second period before I would attempt a response, I tried to swiftly recollect if I had done something to offend this woman...did I steal her spot? Did I cut her off? Did I teach her kid before and give him a bad grade? I didn't get the chance to answer her because she decided to proceed with her rant.

"DO YOU SEE THE SIGN? THIS SPOT IS FOR WOMEN WITH CHILDREN! NOT FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO LAZY TO WALK AN EXTRA THIRTY FEET TO THE STORE! BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU, SOME POOR WOMAN IS GOING TO HAVE TO LUG HER KID ACROSS A PARKING LOT! WHAT THE HELL MAKES YOU THINK YOU ARE SO ENTITLED?!"

I realize that I could have stopped her halfway through her speech, but I thought it would be more humiliating for her in the end if I let her proceed. Hehe. After she was finished with her "I'm a better person than you because I don't steal spots" speech, I cracked a sarcastic smile, shook my head, opened the back door, leaned in, and took out my baby in her car seat.



Ah, her face was priceless. Her eyes looked as if they were going to pop out of her head and her jaw dropped. Of course, she tried profusely to apologize, but I didn't give her the satisfaction of saying, "Oooohhh, that's okay! You didn't know!" Because frankly, she made a judgment about me before I even stepped out of my car. I saw her eyeing me from the second I pulled into that spot. She was out to get someone and the redhead with the sunglasses and tie-dyed shirt was her target.

I'm hoping she learned her lesson and that she will at least wait to see if the customer does indeed have a child before running across a parking lot to yell at them.

However, I must say, I do appreciate her passion for "Customers with Children". I'd like to have her around when I do my Christmas shopping next year...

**Don't forget to vote for me by clicking on the Top Mommy Blogs link on the left.I've also added a rating scale for The Mom Blogs! THANK YOU for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment