Friday, July 9, 2010

A Shout Out to the Single Moms

God bless single moms.

I have no idea how they do it. Wednesday night my husband went to a Phillies game and last night he went to Poker. He also has been painting and fixing up our bathroom the last two days (he's on vacation), so his help with the baby has been limited. Over the last two days, I've gotten a tiny taste of what life would be like if I had to do this on my own. Oh, and to make the experience more authentic, Aubrey is teething, AGAIN! This is her third tooth and I swear I think this is more hellish than the first two! So, when you factor in a busy husband and a teething baby, you could say it's been a tough two days. On more than one occasion, the thought has gone through my head of just how single moms do it.

HOW DO THEY DO IT?! After two days of not even being completely on my own, I was starting to wear down. How do they do it day in and day out?

Single moms have to work full time outside of the home to support their baby(ies). They have to cook dinner each night and have no one around to watch the kids so they can do so. They have to get themselves and the kids showered and ready in the morning without any help. If they have school aged children, they also have to manage homework, activities, and sports ALL on their own. If they want to run out to the grocery store or Target for an hour sans kids, they can't just leave them home with the husband. I don't see how they can sneak in any time for themselves, and I'm basing this on my schedule with just one baby! I'd be running around like a chicken with its head cut off, and most likely wearing two different shoes half the time. In addition to this insanely busy schedule they have to manage, the finances are usually tight when it's just mom bringing in a paycheck.

I would lose my mind if I had to do this all on my own. Before I became a mom, I never stopped to think just how hard these women had it. They are truly the strong women of this world. God bless you, single moms!

2 comments:

  1. I am a single Mom, and I have to tell you, my eyes filled up as I read your blog today. I love it. It is so nice to hear someone say "you do have it hard, I salute you". This is well written and to the poin- easy to follow and fun at the same time. From one Mom to another, I just want to say THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. as a previous single mom (now lucky in love with a wonderful man who has taken on the job of step-dad better than dad ever did) your blog hit home. It is so hard and the guilt you feel at the end of the day/week/month is never ending. We would make it through and had such great memories...but I would always feel bad I couldn't play that 2nd round of chutes and ladder as the kitchen wouldn't clean itself or the trash taken out. Never underestimate the power of a partner!

    ReplyDelete