Thursday, April 1, 2010

Look Who's Talking

Before Aubrey, I used to equate moms talking to their babies in their strollers with people talking to their dogs out on a walk. Cute, but kinda weird considering the one on the receiving end of the conversation can't talk or even understand what the person is saying. I would see the mom chatting away to her baby in the middle of a store and think how it was all a bit corny. From the high pitched voice, the freakishly large smiles, the language that just barely resembled adult English...it just always made me roll my eyes and think, "That will sooo not be me."

Then I had Aubrey and drum rolllll...surprise #237 that I didn't expect before I had a baby...I talk to my baby ALL THE TIME. Public or not. Sometimes people mistake me for talking to them and they turn around and see me chatting away and obnoxiously smiling to Aubrey in her stroller. I almost ran over an old lady and her cart with my stroller in Wegmans today (are you picking up on that I spend a lot of time at Target and Wegmans yet?) because I was so caught up in how cute Aubrey was sucking on her rattle. I may just be the loudest, most high-pitched, baby talker there is. In public, I pretty much tell her how cute she is and other annoying things like, "Aw, you love Mr. Cow? Is Mr. Cow your friend? Are you going to play with him?” But at home? That is where it gets a bit stranger...

Corniness in Action




I think I talk to Aubrey so much at home to keep myself sane sometimes. For example, when she is crying. I try to explain to her what is going on as if she will understand and think, "Oh, okay mom. Thanks for the explanation, I'll stop crying now."

Take yesterday for example. I was changing Aubrey's crib sheet for the 89th time this week, and I had her strapped on her changing table. She usually enjoys watching me change her crib sheet, but not yesterday. She started crying and fussing and that's when I started giving her my spiel on why she had to wait..."It's okay Aubrey, Mommy is changing your crib sheet because it's all dirty. I know you want mommy to pick you up, but it's time for your nap and if I don't change your crib sheet, you'll have nowhere to sleep! Okay? So, can you just wait two more minutes? I would go faster, but it's so hard trying to get this sheet under the mattress with this bumper in the way. I'm going as fast as I can, I'm so sorry; please don't think mommy is ignoring you..." And this conversation (well, monologue I suppose since Aubrey doesn't understand or answer me at any point) goes on until I am done my task.

I do this all the time. I guess I do it more to calm myself down than Aubrey. It's my way of explaining to myself why it's okay that my baby is screaming at the top of her lungs and I'm not able to pick her up and calm her down.

Motherhood continues to surprise me every day; the way it changes my actions and thoughts about everything. Ah, I better go walk the dog before Aubrey awakes from her slumber. And no, I haven't started having conversations with the dog as she finds a place to do her business...some things (although not many) have not changed!

**Please vote for me by clicking on the Top Mommy Blogs link on the left, thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment